Everyone needs to take care of their teeth. That is why we recommend that all of our patients visit us twice per year for annual dental cleanings. There are some situations where we might identify oral health problems before they cause symptoms. One of the issues might be impacted teeth. Our goal is to make sure that we identify these issues as early as possible. The earlier we treat them, the more effective our treatment is going to be. Here at Lovett Dental Pearland, we can help you with tooth impaction issues and improve your or your family’s oral health.
The Most Common Causes of Impacted Teeth
Our patients commonly asked us why they have dental impaction in the first place. There are a few common reasons why. These include:
- Your jaw may be too small for the number of teeth that you have. In this case, the teeth might start to rub together, leading to tooth impaction concerns.
- Your teeth might be a bit twisted or tilted. As a result, they may impact other teeth around them. This can lead to dental impaction.
- It is also possible that she might have suffered a traumatic injury that displaces one or more of your teeth. If teeth are shifted from their typical anatomic location, this can also lead to dental impaction.
It is actually not that unusual for people to suffer from impacted teeth. That is why our practice has a tremendous amount of experience in dealing with this common concern.
Wisdom Teeth Are the Most Common Type of Impacted Teeth
Everyone must understand that dental impaction can develop anywhere in the mouth. By far, the most common location involves impacted wisdom teeth. The wisdom teeth are the third molars in the mouth. They sit at the back of the jaw, and most people have four of them. It is possible that some people might not have any wisdom teeth. Therefore, they will never develop impacted wisdom teeth. On the other hand, most people have their wisdom teeth removed sometime during high school or college. Removal of impacted teeth should take place as early as possible. That is why we try to regularly perform a dental x-ray to make sure that we identify tooth impaction concerns early.
The Complications of Dental Impaction
If impacted teeth removal does not take place early, there are potentially serious complications that might develop. Some of the most common examples include:
- You could develop a cyst in the mouth.
- You might notice worsening pain, redness, and swelling around your gums.
- You might develop a bacterial or viral infection in your mouth that could lead to serious complications.
- Even though you brush and floss regularly, you may also develop tooth decay.
In some cases, you might even require emergency services if you do not have dental impaction addressed as quickly as possible. That is why we take the time to educate all of our patients on this common oral health concern. We are here to help you.
Count on the Team from Lovett Dental Pearland for Impacted Teeth Removal
If you are looking for comprehensive oral health providers who will take care of all of your dental needs, look no further than us. At Lovett Dental Pearland, we deal with impacted teeth regularly, so we have the experience required to help. Dealing with impacted teeth or tooth extraction is just one part of our overall general dental services. We can provide basic services like teeth cleaning as well as cosmetic dentistry, specialty dental services, and emergency dental services. To learn more about our services, contact us today at 254.275.6542 to make an appointment with a member of our team. We look forward to meeting you.